x
Yes No
Do you want to visit DriveHQ English website?
Forum Index \ Cloud Service Review \
Read/Reply : 33587/5
I was customer no 2 for Netstore when they started offering paid-for incremental online backup way back when.  Although the functionality was faultless and I did a full restore more than once and quite a few retrievals of back versions of spreadsheets which I had screwed up, it began to lack usable features after two company acquisition rounds found it buried in Iron Mountain with active product development for small users. 

I have been searching around for about two years something with underlying functionality which matches Netstore in terms of efficiency and ability not to interfere with ones work and the proper functioning of ones computer and which also offers more features - especially sharing - which are usable.  I tried Bulldog backup service for while as an add-on to their firewall and virus protection services.  It did not cut it.  I tried Carbonite.  It is clean and simple and highly usable but lacks the features of DHQ - particularly the ability to scope external drives.

DHQ is excellent.  I am delighted to discover it.  I think the philosophy of delivering something technically sound which works properly and securely first and foremost is right.  It is also right to go on developing more useful hosting services (eg web pages and work sharing facilities).  I look forward to exploring these more fully as you develop them - or acquire them.  No point in reinventing stuff.  There is too much of that in software worlds.

Because Microsoft has let me down with bad product too often, I am seeking to migrate away from MS dependency. The more you can do to support customers across platforms, the better so far as I am concerned.

12/21/2007 3:22:15 AM

Correction. In case I gave the impression otherwise, Netstore still exists and thrives as a company. It was their backup technology that finished up in Iron Mountain.

12/21/2007 3:33:02 AM

User: SimonHeywood  -  12/21/2007 3:33:02 AM

Correction. In case I gave the impression otherwise, Netstore still exists and thrives as a company. It was their backup technology that finished up in Iron Mountain.
Other corrections. I meant to say BullGuard, not Bulldog.  I meant to say "without active product development" instead of "with active product development" in 1st para of first posting. 

If anyone considering DriveHQ is reading this, please take it as a favourable assessment of the service.

12/26/2007 1:16:46 PM

A quick note on cross-platform support:

Even though we don't have client software for Mac and Linux, the service is mostly cross platform.

• The web-based service is cross platform and it has almost all features offered in DriveHQ FileManager 4.0, except the automatic folder synchronization feature. You can share a folder with different users and set different levels of permission.
  • For drag and drop support on Mac and Linux, please use DriveHQ FTP hosting service. You can use any FTP client software to drag and drop, or automatically backup / synchronize files on Mac/Linux. For more info, please visit:
  • DriveHQ also offers SMTP/POP3/IMAP email hosting service; we can also host your files or static website.

1/4/2008 12:05:15 PM

User: DriveHQ Webmaster  -  1/4/2008 12:05:15 PM

Even though we don't have client software for Mac and Linux, the service is mostly cross platform.

• The web-based service is cross platform and it has almost all features offered in DriveHQ FileManager 4.0, except the automatic folder synchronization feature. You can share a folder with different users and set different levels of permission.
  • For drag and drop support on Mac and Linux, please use DriveHQ FTP hosting service. You can use any FTP client software to drag and drop, or automatically backup / synchronize files on Mac/Linux. For more info, please visit:
  • DriveHQ also offers SMTP/POP3/IMAP email hosting service; we can also host your files or static website.

Thank you for pointing out the FTP drag/drop facility for Linux.  My reason for being interested in Linux is now much more immediate because I have recently acquired an Asus EeePC 4G - an almost instantly-on Linux laptop which is an absolute dream in terms of un-fussy and reliable functionality.  I intend to use it with a memory card which will carry my working files and which I will attach to whatever computer I happen to be using - connected to Internet or otherwise.  For now, I shall be content to synchronise my working files with DriveHQ when I am on a machine which happens to support DHQ sync and/or DHQ backup.  In future my Linux usage may become more intense.  Then the full Linux support will become more desirable.

It would be good if you could reach out to the Asus EeePC user audience.  I feel that your offering would fit very well with that audience and you would recruit more customers from amongst them.  If you have time, please look into supporting the EeePC Linux platform (obviously EeePC XP platform is already covered).

1/7/2008 1:38:05 AM

User: SimonHeywood  -  1/7/2008 1:38:05 AM

User: DriveHQ Webmaster  -  1/4/2008 12:05:15 PM

Thank you for pointing out the FTP drag/drop facility for Linux.  My reason for being interested in Linux is now much more immediate because I have recently acquired an Asus EeePC 4G - an almost instantly-on Linux laptop which is an absolute dream in terms of un-fussy and reliable functionality.  I intend to use it with a memory card which will carry my working files and which I will attach to whatever computer I happen to be using - connected to Internet or otherwise.  For now, I shall be content to synchronise my working files with DriveHQ when I am on a machine which happens to support DHQ sync and/or DHQ backup.  In future my Linux usage may become more intense.  Then the full Linux support will become more desirable.

It would be good if you could reach out to the Asus EeePC user audience.  I feel that your offering would fit very well with that audience and you would recruit more customers from amongst them.  If you have time, please look into supporting the EeePC Linux platform (obviously EeePC XP platform is already covered).

FYI, we have recently added WebDAV feature. In fact, DriveHQ supported WebDAV drive mapping with WWWDrive. However, WebDAV is inefficient when compared with DriveHQ FileManager and FTP. We have canceled it WWWDrive later in favor of FileManager. However, as the Internet connection speed is faster than a few years ago, we believe WebDAV might work fine for some users. For more info about WebDAV drive mapping, please visit:

https://www.drivehq.com/mapdrive/

WebDAV is supported on Mac and Linux as well.

8/24/2010 10:12:46 PM

Quickly Reply

Please logon and reply, Not DriveHQ Member?

Leading Cloud Surveillance service

Leading Enterprise Cloud IT Service Since 2003