x
Yes No
Do you want to visit DriveHQ English website?
Forum Index \ DriveHQ Customer Support Forum \
Read/Reply : 25304/3
FAQ says this is possible with the filemanager software, but I can't find the option. Pointers please ;)

5/23/2007 7:13:24 PM

Sorry we have stopped supporting direct Drive mapping due to the inherent weakness of drive-mapping over the Internet. It doesn’t matter which service you use, when you map a drive on the Internet, it is slow and could freeze your Explorer or Desktop for a long time when network is slow/un-reliable or if you are uploading / downloading large files.

DriveHQ FileManager has implemented a lot better solutions:

(1)    Double click to open a Word document on DriveHQ using FileManager, after you edit it, just save it. The file will be saved in local cache and sync-ed to DriveHQ automatically. Thus saving a large Word file is instant.

(2)    You can also explicitly create a sync-ed folder between your local folder and a folder on DriveHQ. You can then save your files to the sync-ed local folder and it will be automatically sync-ed to DriveHQ.

(3) Use DriveHQ Desktop Express, which is bundled with FileManager. You can access DriveHQ storage from a special virtual folder called "My DriveHQ".

(4)    Use the FTP folder feature: in Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer, enter:

ftp://USERNAME:PASSWORD@ftp.drivehq.com

MS Office can save files directly to the ftp folder. But again, when saving file directly over Internet and if the file is big, it could be slow and make your computer less responsive.

5/23/2007 9:26:24 PM

User: DriveHQ Webmaster  -  5/23/2007 9:26:24 PM

Sorry we have stopped supporting direct Drive mapping due to the inherent weakness of drive-mapping over the Internet. It doesn’t matter which service you use, when you map a drive on the Internet, it is slow and could freeze your Explorer or Desktop for a long time when network is slow/un-reliable or if you are uploading / downloading large files.

DriveHQ FileManager has implemented a lot better solutions:

(1)    Double click to open a Word document on DriveHQ using FileManager, after you edit it, just save it. The file will be saved in local cache and sync-ed to DriveHQ automatically. Thus saving a large Word file is instant.

(2)    You can also explicitly create a sync-ed folder between your local folder and a folder on DriveHQ. You can then save your files to the sync-ed local folder and it will be automatically sync-ed to DriveHQ.

(3) Use DriveHQ Desktop Express, which is bundled with FileManager. You can access DriveHQ storage from a special virtual folder called "My DriveHQ".

(4)    Use the FTP folder feature: in Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer, enter:

ftp://USERNAME:PASSWORD@ftp.drivehq.com

MS Office can save files directly to the ftp folder. But again, when saving file directly over Internet and if the file is big, it could be slow and make your computer less responsive.

Shame. This is the feature I was specifically looking for. I have a need to be able to map a drive so that I don't have to use any extra program to get to the data. It may be slow at times, but I am not worried about that, just the functionality. I would suggest you update your product information to say you don't do this... Glad I didn't pay for this before trying it out...

5/24/2007 4:16:12 AM

Update as of 10/2/2014:

For users using our drive mapping service on Windows, we now strongly recommend installing our WebDAV Drive Mapping Tool:

It is extremely easy. Just log on to the tool and you will be able to map a drive. You don't need to optimize the performance yourself any more. The tool will automatically fine tune the performance and reliability for you. As the result, DriveHQ Enterprise WebDAV Solution is more reliable than almost any other WebDAV services.

For system administrators, you can configure your sub-users to automatically map to a specific folder. It works just like your in-house file server, you can map multiple drives, incl. shared drives and set various levels of permissions to different users.

10/2/2014 2:55:27 PM

Quickly Reply

Please logon and reply, Not DriveHQ Member?

Leading Cloud Surveillance service

Leading Enterprise Cloud IT Service Since 2003