x
Yes No
Do you want to visit DriveHQ English website?
Forum Index \ DriveHQ Customer Support Forum \
Read/Reply : 51475/8

How does the "Enable File Versioning" work?

Why can't I check the "Enable file versioning" checkbox for a directory?

I only have a guest account now, but plan to upgrade soon.

6/6/2012 6:34:49 AM

Also, with respect to FTP, is there a way to retrieve the versions using an ftp client (or an http client)?

6/6/2012 3:19:52 PM

File versioning feature allows users to keep files in number of versions in case of accidental deletion or modification. You may use this option of your account is a premium account. You may adjust such option by going to my account -> account option.

6/6/2012 3:30:30 PM

Thanks. and I see how to retrieve the different version via the web browser interface.

However, with respect to FTP, is there a way to retrieve the versions using an ftp client (or an http client)?

6/6/2012 3:33:58 PM

If you use DriveHQ FileManager 5.0 (i.e. HTTP Client), you can also retrieve old file versions.

FTP is a standard protocol, which does not support file versioning. This being said, if you overwrite a file using FTP, DriveHQ system can still keep the old version. You just cannot use FTP to retrieve old version files.

6/7/2012 2:48:21 AM

Is there any way to pull the versioned files from a .net, python, java, etc?

The web client leads you to belive they are kept in a subdirectory with a similar name  except ~ is appended, and then the names of the historical files are also changed.

6/7/2012 6:03:45 AM

I guess you can do so by yourself. However, we cannot provide technical support in this case.

6/7/2012 9:39:52 AM

I understand the FTP protocol does not support file versioning and that it would be possible to write a program that scraped the web site, but that is definitely not what I am considering. I am asking whether the historical files are stored on the file system and can be accessed via ftp commands to those files.

Restated, in my case I have paid for a group account with two users, and one of the users will push files (unfortunately, same name each time) onto their shared folder via ftp 4 times each day. The other account will login and retrieve the files daily. However, if there is an issue with retrieving the files, then it would be greate to be able to catch up on the files by retrieving the historical versions missed.

What is the best way to achieve this, since both the pushing and pulling of the files is being done with a script (ie. not interactively with a gui)?

6/7/2012 11:23:00 AM

Yes, the old version files are indeed stored in your account. By default, these files are stored in hidden folders. It is not recommended to change any history files.

You can logon www.drivehq.com, go to My Account page, then click on Account Options, check the checkbox "Show hidden folders and old version folders".

After you save your changes, the history folders will be displayed on DriveHQ.com website and DriveHQ FileManager client software. In general, old version files are saved in a hidden folder that's in the same parent folder of the current file. The hidden folder name is like:  \FILENAME~\

Because multiple versions of the same file might be created, the file name is also changed to FILE_ID.EXT, here EXT is the original file extension.

When you change or update a file on DriveHQ, the file name is kept the same, but the internal file ID changes. It is not possible to predict the new file IDs. You can list the hidden folder and pick the right version based on file modify time.

6/7/2012 2:40:44 PM

Quickly Reply

Please logon and reply, Not DriveHQ Member?

Leading Cloud Surveillance service

Leading Enterprise Cloud IT Service Since 2003