x
Yes No
Do you want to visit DriveHQ English website?
Forum Index \ DriveHQ Customer Support Forum \
Read/Reply : 31217/3

I assumed file versioning was creating backups of files being replaced and causing the folder sizes to continue growing because of it, but every file shows "unable to get the files history..." in drivehq's file manager.

What exactly does file versioning do?  And if it's not what I thought it was, why do folders grow in size when copying/replacing existing files?

12/22/2010 12:02:10 PM

File versioning could indeed use extra storage space. The feature is only available to paid members. You can turn it on or off from www.drivehq.com website; logon and go to My Account page, then click on Account Options. 

If you want to see how much storage space is being used by old version files, you can turn on the account option: "Show hidden folders (e.g. old version history folders)" in the Account Options page.

File versioning keeps your old version files (up to the specified maximum versions, usually 2-10 versions). It protects your data against accidental overwriting; it also helps maintain the file version history. Please note if a file doesn't change, it will have only 1 version regardless of the "maximum versions to keep". 

Regarding your problem, please email more detailed info to DriveHQ customer support.

12/22/2010 3:06:31 PM

DriveHQ has fantastic features, but file versioning is very confusing from a user point of view. My backup jobs (paid account) each had maximum file versions to keep set to 4. A normal (human) user would assume this implies that file versioning is activated, since there is no other related option on the same screen and the option is not greyed out. (I know, you techies will say: but it was only defining a maximum, it didn't actually say it was going to record file version history. I would say: just think of common mortals and their limited brain power.)

However, when clicking on history for any given file, I got the same message as the other forum author above ("Unable to get the files history"). But here comes the really bizarre thing. When I enabled the option to view hidden files, I was able to actually find an old version of a file! (It was 4 days old and it slightly differed from my current version. Its name was coded but its size gave it away - gotcha!) And as the other person above observed, the amount of space used by backups continues to grow whereas file version history seems unavailable.

I suppose activating the file version history option as suggested through the drivehq *website* (and not just in the backup jobs in the drivehq software) might solve the problem, but this is really not straightforward!

Let me summarize here:

- backup job options imply that file version history is activated.

- history appears to be unavailable through the normal method.

- doing some (tedious) detective work allows to actually find the old version of a file.

- backup space is eaten away even for users who can't use their file history.

- one has to active file version history on the website even if it seemed activated inside the backup jobs.

For the sake of all those who will scratch their head trying to figure out something that should be easily configurable, please add at least some words of explanation to the warning that file version history is not available, so people don't get stuck and don't spend their precious worktime writing lengthy prose on the DriveHQ forum!!

Greetings and keep up the good work,

S.

3/7/2011 9:38:14 AM

Emmm.... and why isn't there a way on this forum to be emailed when people react to a given post or thread?? (I mean not some deeply buried options but just something that pops up when you need it.)

3/7/2011 9:40:34 AM

Quickly Reply

Please logon and reply, Not DriveHQ Member?

Leading Cloud Surveillance service

Leading Enterprise Cloud IT Service Since 2003